- Matt DiSero - for having a "very sassy act."
Updated December 28th to add the following nominees:
- Steven Lafond, producer and host of "Magic Mondays" in Ottawa for his continued support of the magic community. Hosting over 30 different magicians from all over Canada in 2016 alone. (Additional supporting comment: He has done a whole year's worth of monthly magic showcases featuring locals and big names alike. Chris Pilworth, Bill Abbott, Mysterion, Zach & Steve, Jonathan Gold, Eric Leclerc...all opened by local professional and up-and-coming magicians. A real community supporter.)
- Murray and Teresa Hatfield for starring in and (even more importantly) producing the extraordinary magic and illusions-filled phantasmagoria "Unbelievable" at this summer's PNE in Vancouver. It was, without a doubt, the most inspirational, most wonderful, most entertaining stadium-scale magical event I have ever witnessed.
Updated December 27th to add official nominees:
- The Evasons for being classy and for being the most original non electronic using mentalists in the world today.
- Mahdi Gilbert - "He has inspired so many of us through his amazing sleight of hands without having any hands. The way he transformed his own life through magic is a role model for everyone who's searching for meaning, hope and inspiration."
Introducing the Canada's Magic "Readers' Choice 2016 Inspirational Canadian Magician of the Year" award. You may nominate living Canadian Magician(s) of your choosing by leaving their name along with a short note about how they inspired you in 2016, in the comments below. (Or you may email me your nomination.)
Nominations will be accepted up until 11:59PM on Sunday January the 8th. The full list of nominations will be published and voting will commence. (Canada's Magic is not eligible for the award, nor will it be participating in the nomination or voting process.)
This is a "bragging rights" only contest. There is no cash value for this award.
Here are some ideas for potential nominees (individuals and groups can be nominated):
- The Canadian magicians appearing on US television shows this year: Shawn Farquhar, Murray SawChuck, Vitaly Beckman, Mahdi Gilbert, Neil Croswell, Ryan Joyce, Matt DiSero, The Evasons, and Greg Frewin.
- The owners of Canada's brick and mortar magic shops.
- The people who nurture the the next generation of magicians at Sorcerers Safari magic camp.
- Brent Kloeble and his team for establishing a magic festival for Regina.
The list of worthy entrants goes on and on ...
I look forward to seeing your nominations!