29 August 2013

Goodbye to Morrissey Magic -- the end of an era in Toronto

On Saturday August 24th, after 54 years in the industry, Morrissey Magic closed its doors for the very last time.

Founded by Herb Morrissey in 1959, Morrissey Magic's niche product was his "Morrissey Cups."  His retail shop opened in 1964 with a second shop opening in Toronto in 1978.  Some time later, the entire operation settled in Toronto.

Morrissey Magic was the first real magic shop I'd ever experienced.  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent there.  Or how many pay cheques.  (The numbers are likely higher than I'd care to admit.)  Being in their store always felt like home to me -- no matter the location.  Their anniversary parties were the perfect combination of celebration, community and entertainment!  (I will never forget the impromptu performance by Richard Lyn a few years back!)  I feel fortunate that I was able to share my love of the store, and the people who ran it, with my family.

Thank you to Dan, Phoebe, Mike, Luiz, Richard and of course Herb, for the wonderful contributions you've made to my life.  Dan and Phoebe, I wish you all the very best as you begin a new chapter in yours!

17 comments:

  1. I wish I could Jeph, but I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin Dawes31 August, 2013

    Murray Hatfield's shop, and now Morrissey's ... very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed Robin.

    We need to rally as a community to make sure we keep the remaining shops we have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that really is horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that really is horrible...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really sucks...travelling magician (travelling light) from British Columbia stuck for a surprise gig in Barrie last summer and Dan really got me out of a jam. He was a great guy...asked what I had for a budget (tight budget since I wasn't getting paid!) and set me up with great stage sized stuff that made my show a success...customer service like that doesn't exist on some internet site and now there is one less place for it to exist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Toronto is lucky, having another brick and mortar shop with wonderful customer service. You're right though, you'd be hard pressed to find someone other than an brick and mortar shop that could help you out like that.

      I urge everyone to support our remaining brick and mortar magic shops. It's the first place many kids get bitten by the magic bug. It's a place they can go for encouragement and coaching, by people in the know. A nurturing community is formed in a local shop, which can't be duplicated through the internet.

      Don't have brick and mortar shop in your area? Consider supporting one through their online shops. (I direct your attention to two of the wonderful sponsors of this blog, Perfect Magic and
      The Browser's Den of Magic!)

      Delete
  7. I feel like I am late to the wake. Dr. Quimby's Medicine Show will miss the infrequent visits to the shop and the speedy service over the 'net'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making the time to add your thoughts. I hope that Dan and his family will come by from time to time to see these comments.

      Delete
  8. Morrissey Magic! You will be missed! Countless orders of many fine products I had ordered from you! Thank you very much for such fond memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making the time to leave your thoughts! You're not alone!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous15 July, 2014

    I'm glad to be able to say it was part of my magic "heritage." I enjoyed watching the faces of the less educated as they were wowed by the tricks demonstrated. When I knew the trick, I was wowed by the subtleties of performance patter, etc. that I would notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories!

      Delete
  10. I always wanted that jumbo magic wand in the corner ceiling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. spent many saturdays of my youth there. watching david blaine special tonite and getting nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete