12 July 2016

Diary of a Sorcerers Safari newbie - part 12

|< page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 >|  

A camper's notebook. Photo by Rosemary Reid
A camper's notebook.

Day 6: Wednesday August 19th*
So sad.  This is the last time we’re going to be in the Mess Hall.  One last round of table banging and cheering.  I hate today.  I wish camp could go on forever.

I better finish packing.

6pm
We got our stuff out of the cabins and sorted our bags on the same field where we arrived.  Everybody was a happy kind of sad.  People were signing name tags and arms and books and stuff.  I overheard Daryl say that he was amazed that he learned stuff starting at the very first day of camp.  He said he “came here expecting to teach, but (he) didn’t expect to learn.”  That’s cool!


I wish camp were longer. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
I wish camp were longer.


Everyone was saying that this was the “Best Year Ever.”  Even though it was my first year, I’d have to agree.  There’s no way they could make camp any better than this! 

Loading the bus. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Loading the bus.
Dad came and got me just as the bus was leaving.  I kind of wish I’d taken the bus, just to be together with my new friends for a a little bit longer.  But I can sleep in the car when Dad drives.  He doesn’t ask me nearly as many questions as Mom.  And I was so tired. 
It’s good to be home, but In the words of one of my new BFFs,
"I wish I could sleep for 360 days. So I could miss the school year and when I wake up it would be time for camp again."

--
A question to the reader:  Was Alex a girl or a boy?  What lead you to that conclusion?



A special thank you to the campers who let me interview them for this article (in no particular order):

  • Ryan from Mississauga, ON
  • Astrid from Grimsby, ON
  • Landon from Toronto, ON
  • Thomas from Montreal, QC
  • Serena from Toronto, ON
  • Angelique from Grimsby, ON
  • Stephanie from Bermuda
  • Peter from Toronto, ON
  • Cathy from Toronto, ON
  • Paolo from Toronto, ON
  • Brad from Orillia, ON

and to all the other campers (and staff) that let me ask them questions throughout their stay!





--
The 2016 season of Sorcerers Safari will run from Sunday August 7th through Friday August 12th, 2016. For more information, or to register, please visit SorcerersSafari.ca



|< page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 >|

* The “Diary of a Sorcerers Safari Newbie” is primarily based on the 2015 camp season.  It is an aggregate of many perspectives, and at times includes events from previous years.

No comments:

Post a Comment