17 May 2016

Diary of a Sorcerers Safari newbie - part 4

|< page 1 - 2 - 3 -4- 5 - 6 - 78 - 9 - 10 - 11 - next >

A camper's notebook. Photo by Rosemary Reid
A camper's notebook.

Day 2: Saturday August 15th *
Don’t have much time.  Breakfast was awesome (pancakes!) and no one laughed at me in card class.  Most of the kids in my class are near the same age and ability as I am -- I am so relieved!  I was very surprised (and happy) to find we were learning in the Mess Hall and not in a big classroom with blackboards and uncomfortable desks!  Yesssss!!!!  Our instructor, Scott Hammell, told us that “The main time you go through a lot of cards is when you’re practicing.” Then he told us to “Go through a lot of cards.” 

Scott teaching card class. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Scott teaching card class.

I learned the term, “beached cards.”  It’s when you drop your cards on the ground and they get all sandy and wet and impossible to use afterwards.  I’m going to be extra careful to keep mine on the table. Some of the more advanced kids said they learned harder things.  The really experienced kids had to perform stuff and then everyone else in their group gave ideas on how it could be made it better.

I have to get ready to do this big camp wide activity.  I hope it’s not dodgeball.


11:40am
Whoa! That was so much more fun than dodgeball!  We just did a relay race kind of thing in teams with everyone from different cabins.  It involved:
  • water
  • balloons
  • tape
  • pool noodles and
  • people wrapped up in toilet paper! 


Listening to the rules.



Pool noodle marble run. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Pool noodle marble run.


Pouring water backwards. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Pouring water backwards.

That's a lot of balloons! Photo by James Carey Lauder.
That's a lot of balloons!



It was more fun than Fun Day at the end of school!  I think Sheldon Casavant was still on the field, wrapped head to toe in toilet paper, when I left.  Hope he’s okay.

Sheldon getting wrapped. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Sheldon getting wrapped.





2pm
Yum!  Bagel pizzas for lunch!  Magic Mike Segal and his staff make announcements at every meal.  Sometimes when there’s exciting news, everyone bangs on the tables and cheers!  It gets really loud and it’s great fun!  
Announcements with Magic Mike. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Announcements with Magic Mike.



I saw three cute little brown rabbits eating weeds outside the Mess Hall.  Someone said they saw a deer here too.  I hope I see one!

There were so many interesting electives to choose from today (duct-tape wallets, “no sleight” misdirection, stage card manipulation, sponge balls, juggling, and bill folds).  I did juggling and boy am I bad at it.  I was dropping things all over the place.  Scott said that it will come with practice.  I hope he’s right!  (He’s really good!)

Learning to juggle with Scott. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Learning to juggle with Scott.


Stage card manipulation with Sheldon. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Stage card manipulation with Sheldon.




To be continued ...


--
The 2016 season of Sorcerers Safari will run from Sunday August 7th through Friday August 12th, 2016. For more information, or to register, please visit SorcerersSafari.ca


|< page 1 - 2 - 3 -4- 5 - 6 - 78 - 9 - 10 - 11 - next >

* The “Diary of a Sorcerers Safari Newbie” is primarily based on the 2015 camp season.  It is an aggregate of many perspectives, and at times includes events from previous years.

No comments:

Post a Comment