26 January 2020

Scott Dietrich in Bradford Today

From the January 19th article "'I Can and I Did' inspires kids to believe in themselves" by Miriam King in Bradford Today:
"I do teach a lot of magic classes, and I do have a lot of kids say, 'I can't do it'," he said - frustrated by the difficulty of their first magic trick. "That's when I stop the class, and tell them that there are two bad words  - 'can't' and 'never'."

Instead, Dietrich helps them to persevere and overcome the challenge, fostering what he calls "positive doubt... What else did I think I couldn't do, that I can?"

Henry Ford famously said, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” That's the basis of Dietrich's philosophy, and of the book "I Can and I Did!", a story about secrets, surprises, and unlimited possibilities.

Dietrich calls the book "a gift. It just kind of came to me." Written in just two hours, it's the story of Stephanie, who initially gives up on a math problem in frustration. "I can't!" she says - until her grandfather introduces her to Henry Ford's "secret." Not only does she solve the problem, with "Gramp's" help, she discovers that her grandfather is a pilot, and that she too can learn to fly, "but only if you believe you can."

Read more.



No comments:

Post a Comment