06 November 2021

A peek behind the curtain with Fernando Velasco [2021]

A peek behind the curtain with Fernando Velasco 


Learn more about Fernando, the 2018 Magic Castle Junior Achievement Award winner, in the second of a series of interviews leading up to the Champions of Magic World Wide Wonders Tour shows in Kitchener and Peterborough early next year.

Read our 2019 interview where we learn Fernando's:
 
- magical and non-magical inspirations,
- first memory of magic,
- pre-show ritual,
- advice for touring magicians,
- secret to keeping performances fresh, and
- his Broadway dream role!
 
Champions of Magic performed in Canada in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020After a two year absence, what are you most looking forward to on your return to Canada in early 2022?
I truly love Canadian crowds, they are wonderful to us.

Just coming back to Canada in general is something I’m really looking forward to.

 

Fernando Velasco in danger.
Photo credit: William Balfour, Spectra Experiences. Oshawa 2019.

 

 
 
The Great Pause (COVID Lockdowns)
Did you experience any silver linings? 
With all the COVID negatives aside, I actually thought this time off was great over all.

Many positives came out of this eternal lockdown.

I got to practice my close up skills.

I got really close with my younger brother and sister.

And went on a few road trips through Arizona, Utah, and Oaxaca (Mexico).


What was your comfort binge?
 
Doing meditation at the beach in the morning a few times per week really kept me sane, and it has also helped improve many aspects of my life.

Also for the first time in my life I went through a number of books, a few biographies, physiology books, and self improvement books.
Were you able to explore your personal passions?
I went full on athletic mode, started with hiking, running, then I joined a soccer team and I’ve definitely developed a golfing addiction which didn’t exist before, golf has been my main hobby during this time off, And let me just say this… I’m not that bad ;) !


How did you keep your skills fresh and performance ready?
Since I couldn’t be on stage I thought I'd try the TV screen.  I went on Fox’s “Game of Talents” as well as TBS’s “Go Big Show” (airing January 2022).

Also, I learned some close up/strolling magic which I’ve been performing anytime-anywhere I have a chance in a real world setting.

 

What was it like travelling and performing with Champions of Magic in Mexico during the pandemic?
 
Doing Champions during a pandemic was amazing. Although it was sad to be limited to such small % of people in the theater.

We filmed the online special with Cinepolis Klick which was great to do, but it was hard to film without a crowd. it definitely didn’t feel the same
Have audience reactions to live magic performances changed after Lockdown? 
I’ve watched a few live shows already and I can tell you the crowds are ecstatic.

Eager for entertainment, and I can’t wait to give our audiences the best entertainment I can.
 
 
 
 
 
In September, we learned that Hollie England will be joining the Champions of Magic family.
 
How will you welcome Hollie into the Champions family?
We are all looking forward to working with Hollie. 

I’ve already email her to say if anyone gives her a hard time to just let me know… 

Not that anyone will BUT I like to say that.

Also the tour will
need a villain soon. 
(Every tour has a villain).


[Editor's note:  could this be foreshadowing?]


What advice do you have for Hollie to help her thrive in the Champions family?
Hollie will be amazing, no advice needed….


If you could go back in time to study (magic or otherwise) under anybody, who would you choose to be your mentor?
If I could go back in time and choose a mentor I would have to pick P.T. Barnum, the great showman himself.  I think it would definitely be between P.T. and of course Houdini. Very hard choice.  There is so many greats throughout history that is hard to pick one.
 
 
What’s your go-to Karaoke song?

I like to please the crowd and “Sweet Caroline” never fails. That and Angels by Robbie Williams are my go-to songs (naturally Angels closes the night).
If you could only perform one effect for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I couldn’t only perform one effect for the rest of my life. I would go crazy.

But if I had to choose it’ll probably be The Blaney (Ladder) Levitation, I love performing that effect very much. It’s fun and I just love the simplicity of it! 
 
 
Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers?
I hope to see some of you at one of our shows. We are excited to get back and share our new magic. Lots of love!

 

Thank you Fernando, for making the time to answer our questions!


Catch Champions of Magic in Kitchener and Peterborough early 2022! 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment