23 September 2022

Goodbye to Magic Information Canada (MagicInfo.ca)

Thank you Doug, for your wonderful contributions to the Canadian Magic Community!

 

From the September 22nd Facebook post by Doug Cuff:

The time has come to say goodbye.

I started a website for Canadian magicians around 20 years ago, but I haven't updated it for the past 3 years. And that matters because one thing that I used to take pride in was that magicinfo.ca kept its links up to date, and listed old, outdated links so that visitors would know they had reached a dead end.

So I've closed the magicinfo.ca website and the associated Twitter account @magicinfo_ca. I'll be closing this Facebook account too, but there is still one thing I want to accomplish before I do that.

Thanks to all of you who used magicinfo.ca over the years and offered feedback.

From MagicInfo.ca:

This website started in the early 2000s as a series of simple bookmarks to Canadian magic shops. Back in those days, there were still great bricks-and-mortar shops like Morrissey's and Perfect Magic. These days, Browser's Den of Magic in Toronto is pretty much all there is left. It's a great shop, and I still buy from Jeff and the team, but one shop doesn't continue a need for this website.

Later on, I kept track of other things: effects that used objects familiar to Canadian audiences, performing magicians, magic shows, magic clubs, magic lessons. I taught myself a lot about CSS and PHP and SQL in keeping this site running. It was fun while it lasted. I hope it was useful to some of you still out there reading this.

The Canadian magic scene still needs a great website, but it has that: Nicole's excellent Canada's Magic site and blog.

This message will remain in place until mid-November 2022, after which magicinfo.ca will be no more.

Goodbye and thank you! (signed) Doug

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment