02 August 2023

Contribute to a Canadian Hocus Pocus Parade for the Linking Ring [Aug 31 deadline]

Submit your ideas to Ryan Pilling by August 31.

 

From the July 27th Facebook post by Tips & Tricks for Magicians:

ATTN: Canadian Magicians

I spend a lot of my time researching and reading through the dusty pages of The Linking Ring magazine.

My attention always perks up when I come across one of the many Canadian Hocus Pocus Parades, which were an almost annual tradition between 1943 and 1972. It's wonderful to see magic from both the famous and not-so-famous, including many who are the namesakes of our Canadian Rings; Ernie Crockford, Roy Cottee, Sid Lorraine...

Other than one "Canadian 4F Gala Parade" compiled by Joan Caesar in April 2016, this tradition has been long lost to history.

Well, here I am attempting to pick up the torch and spark something.

I'm reviving the Canadian Hocus Pocus Parade! And I'm inviting you to be a part of the legacy.

Canada's greatest strength comes from diversity of its people and regions, and I'm hoping to put together a collection of great magic with an equal variety, from magicians coast to coast to coast.

I'm looking for your most creative magic, be it inventions or adaptations.

If you have it written up, that's great... send it along.

If not, you can film a quick home video to teach the idea to me, and I'll write it up.

Bonus points if you can send a performance or demonstration video that we could include as a digital supplement to the Parade.

What makes a good magazine contribution - an idea that looks/sounds FUN to PLAY with.

A quick trick, a new use for a common prop, something easy to make, etc.

What makes an ignored magazine contribution - difficult or complicated routines.

If you can't decide what to send you're welcome to send along more stuff and allow me to choose.

I'll give you a timeline of August 31 to get your submissions to me.

Thanks!

Maple flavourdly yours,
Ryan Pilling
ryan @ wowryan . com
(Calgary, Ring 66)

P.S. You are welcome to forward this invitation to your local clubs and Canadian magician friends. I'd especially appreciate your help if you know magicians from more remote regions. Worst case is that I get so much I can do it again next year!





No comments:

Post a Comment