17 November 2023

Broken wand: Micky Hades

Updated November 27th to add:

  • Read Brent's Smith's touching Tribute to Micky Hades

 

Updated November 24th to add:

  • From Dignity Memorial:

    "It is with heavy hearts and tear filled eyes that the family of Micky Hades regretfully announce that he passed away peacefully on Thursday, November 16, 2023 at his home in Calgary at the age of 97 ½ years.

    "He was an internationally known magician, magic dealer, and magic book publisher.

    "Further details will be available in the Linking Ring magazine."

     

 

We were just informed of the recent passing of Micky Hades.

We will update this post as more information becomes available. 

Our sincere condolences to Micky's family and friends at this difficult time. 

 

From the November 17th Facebook post by Brent Smith:

My Dear long friend and teacher past away Micky Hades. He was 98 and a giant among mere mortals and for the people who never took the time to know him don’t know what the magic communtiy just lost. I’m not in shock but saddened …. damn I’ll miss the stories this guy had . He did more for magic than most people ever will … Including me

 

 

 

From the November 17th Facebook post by Scott McClelland:

Today, one of the most important people in Magic passed away. The Great Micky Hades.

Micky Hades was an innovator in magic, creating new and exciting ideas in illusion and mentalism. He built Reveen's Illusion Show and also some of Doug Hennings magic seen on TV.

Apart from that, Micky Hades had the largest publishing company of Mentalism books in the world. And he mentored some of the finest magicians in the country, including Dale Harney, Murray Hatfield and John Kaplan.

I was introduced to Micky at the 1977 International Brotherhood of Magicians Convention by my grandfather. 2 years later, I got my first job collating and printing many of Micky's publications. When I was 17 he asked me to illustrate two books for him, on a book on Key Bending and another a Magic Illusion catalogue.

Micky also wrote articles in the Linking Ring Magazine (a magic magazine) and had his own special periodical called the Hade-Gram.

One of the things back in the 70's and 80's all the magicians looked forward to was the Micky Hades Fun and Film Festival.

Micky was one of the most influential magicians in the magic community and a great supporter of new upcoming talent.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Micky for over 45 years and my life has been enriched with his wonderful friendship and knowledge, a true Showman and Magi and someone I will never forget.

I love you Micky like a grandfather, and I am so glad that we lived in the same time period of history to know each other, you will be missed.

Rest now Micky, fore you worked every day of your life. 

An inspiration to us all.


 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment