10 November 2023

A peek behind the curtain with Michelle Mazzarella


This is the fourth in a series of interviews leading up to the Champions of Magic Worldwide Wonder Tour Canadian dates in:

Additional rumoured locations include cities in BC and NS!  Check the Champions of Magic website for updates.


Read our thoughts about their 2022 show:

TLDR: So. Much. Fun!

Random thoughts about "Champions of Magic" 

 


We're delighted to interview aerialist, and serial big box illusion victim, Michelle Mazzarella ahead of her Canadian Champions of Magic Worldwide Wonder Tour dates!


A peek behind the curtain with Michelle Mazzarella


 
What is your first memory of magic? 

Growing up, my father was a Magician Member at the Magic Castle in Los Angeles, so we would occasionally head there for Sunday brunch and a show. While I was really young at the time, I still remember details like the secret bookcase entrance, the portraits whose eyes would follow you, the iconic owls, the red velvet showroom curtain, and of course, all the stairs.
 



What surprised you most about touring with magicians? 

This one’s hard for me! Alex, Young, and Strange did a really great job of managing my expectations before I joined the tour. I knew that every day was going to be so wildly different from the next, and I really appreciated their transparency. It helped me figure out that I really wanted the job, and it has been quite an adventure!

 


Michelle Mazzarella

Michelle on the Silks
 
 
 
 
What is the most annoying thing about touring with magicians?

I would call it more fascinating than annoying, but everyone talks about magic… a lot. Coming from a non-magic background, I often have no clue what they’re talking about, but I’ve been enjoying piecing things together over the months, and I’m learning a ton. 
 

 
 
Have you learned how to do any magic since you joined Champions of Magic

Ha, yes, but only the basics… I actually have a silly secret goal of learning at least one trick per tour leg, and all my friends at home are enjoying the results.  
 


 
How do you keep your skills fresh and performance ready?

In every new city, if time allows, I make an effort to connect with the local circus community. Sometimes they have open gyms, or I’ll even teach workshops. When we’re in hotels, I try to take advantage of their Fitness Rooms, or I’ll do a little workout on a yoga mat in my dressing room. Unfortunately, it’s hard to train Silks without actually being on a Silk, so the skills do ebb and flow a little bit, but they always come back. 



Michelle Mazzarella

Michelle preparing to descend

 



Do you have any guilty pleasures while on tour?
 
I actually went to boarding school in British Columbia, and I really miss some of the old snacks I had, like poutine, Aero Bars, Sour Jubes, and Beaver Tails. I try to grab some whenever I can, but really any delicious food will do it for me.
One imagines that it’s sometimes hard to leave the comforts of your home for a lengthy tour.  Do you bring a special something from home with you? 

I actually had a friend attend one of my first shows with Champions of Magic. She asked me the night before what my favorite colors were, and she crocheted me a little jellyfish! I named him Squort and he has stayed in my crate ever since, often hanging on my dressing room lights or sitting nearby. 


Michelle and Squort

Michelle and Squort

 

Is there anything else you’d like to share with the readers of Canada’s Magic?

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you at a show!



Thank you Michelle, for making the time to answer our questions!

 

Learn more about Michelle at MichelleMazzarella.com and follow her on Facebook, and Instagram

 

  Champions of Magic  

Catch Michelle in Champions of Magic touring across Canada in 2023 - 2024:

Additional rumoured locations include cities in BC and NS!  Check the Champions of Magic website for updates.

 

Read our 2023 interview with:


Read our 2022 interviews with:

 
Learn more about Champions of Magic at ChampionsOfMagic.co.uk and follow them on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter



Champions of Magic Worldwide Wonders Tour


 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment