10 May 2016

Diary of a Sorcerers Safari newbie - part 3

|< page 1 - 2 -3- 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - next >

A camper's notebook. Photo by Rosemary Reid
A camper's notebook.
Day 1: Friday August 14, 2015 (cont)*
11pm 
After dinner we went back to the cabins to get some rain gear -- the weather report said it was going to thunderstorm.  We headed off to the “Pinetages Theatre.”  The theatre is about the size of my school gym, maybe a little smaller but with a bigger stage. 

The Pinetages Theatre.  Photo by James Carey Lauder.
The Pinetages Theatre.


Each cabin did something for “cabin intros” under the guidance of the counsellors (Philip Bowser, Greydon Gilmore, Jonah Babins, Tyler Williams, Mark Correia, Nathaniel Rankin, Rosemary Reid, and Sam Segal).  Cabins did really clever things including impersonating well-known magicians (like Penn & Teller and David Blaine), miming deliberate misinterpretations of magic terms (like overhand shuffles and dribbling), a version of the TV show “Fool Us,” and magic effects performed using people instead of things (linking rings, sliding knot on rope, and cups & balls).  I was sooo nervous.  I took some deep breaths and I didn’t mess up!  It feels amazing to be on stage and hear everyone clap and cheer for you. 


Cabin intros. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Cabin intros.


More cabin intros. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
More cabin intros.



Rosemary announced that they were going to do a lip sync competition all week.  She started it off and then Eric did “Your Name” by Taylor Swift.  Hilarious!  It rained really hard while we were in the theatre.  (Glad I brought rain boots!) 
Rosemary singing. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Rosemary singing.

Eric channeling Taylor Swift. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Eric channeling Taylor Swift.

Daryl did amazing rope magic. Ben Train did a wild book test.  Phil DaCosta did more fun rope magic.  Chris Westfall and Chris Mayhew made everyone laugh so hard.  They even threw some “Rock, Paper, Scissors, Llama” shirts into the audience.  I wish I got one.  At the end we all got brand new decks of really cool cards that Dave Mitchell got donated from Ellusionist.  They look so nice, I don’t want to use them!
Chris and Chris bringing the laughs. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Chris and Chris bringing the laughs.

It is soooo dark here at night.  I can see more stars here than I knew existed!  At our cabin we had a “cabin visit” from Chris Westfall. He showed us AMAZING tricks using cards, rubber bands, and coins!

Chris Westfall being magical. Photo by James Carey Lauder.
Chris Westfall being magical.


I feel a little sad.  I miss my home and my bed and my room.  And especially my family.  Everyone here is super friendly and nice though.  And this place is so much fun!  I’m super excited about tomorrow.

We all got ready for bed.  I tried to go to sleep without writing here.  But I just couldn’t.  That’s why I’m writing here so late.  Tired now.  G’night.



To be continued ...


--
The 2016 season of Sorcerers Safari will run from Sunday August 7th through Friday August 12th, 2016. For more information, or to register, please visit SorcerersSafari.ca


|< page 1 - 2 -3- 4 - 5 - 6 - 78 - 9 - 10 - 11 - next >

* The “Diary of a Sorcerers Safari Newbie” is primarily based on the 2015 camp season.  It is an aggregate of many perspectives, and at times includes events from previous years.

No comments:

Post a Comment