30 December 2023

A peek behind the curtain with Potted Potter Toronto [2023]

A peek behind the curtain with Potted Potter FB


A peek behind the curtain with Potted Potter



We're delighted to bring to you a brief interview with the Toronto Performers of Potted Potter, Josephine Starte, Lottie Bell, and Amelia Gann.


Potted Potter in Toronto

Amelia Gann as Harry (left) and Lottie Bell as Voldemort

 

What is your first memory of magic?  How old were you?

Josephine:  I changed primary schools when I was 6 and immediately started a very popular flying club, which centred around doing spells on each other and then jumping off tables at playtime. It was very serious, there were tests, and certificates. I sort of believed I was really flying and really passing on my great wisdom, and I sort of knew I was lying. And then I became an actor.



Josephine Starte

Josephine Starte

 



Each of you perform an effect that some professional magicians also have in their shows.  What was your experience learning how to do magic for Potted Potter?

Lottie:  Chaotic. I mean I struggle with magic tricks in the real world. So I didn’t ever perform magic tricks on anyone before the show. However, ironically, I love doing them as Lord Voldemort in the show because I can add Voldemort’s cheeky humour to the trick! Even though he’s evil it’s the one time that Voldemort gets the audience's support and that really does help my confidence in the trick so thank you to Lord Voldemort and all his fans! (in that moment). 



Lottie Bell

Lottie Bell

 

 

Do you want to learn how to do any additional magic tricks? 

Amelia:  Absolutely! It's an aspect of performance I hadn't experienced before this project so I'm looking forward to improving my showmanship and slick delivery, especially with cards - as there's so much to learn and try out! Maybe if I build up my repertoire we can bring some new tricks into each show. 

 

Amelia Gann

Amelia Gann
 

 
 
Were there any hurdles or obstacles you needed to overcome, in order to perform a script originally written for an all male cast? 

Josephine:  The script changed a tiny bit, like the odd word here and there, and I think we possibly perform more characters than the guys as a result. But broadly it’s exactly the same show on paper, and it works brilliantly because there was always gender flipping (read: lots of wigs) in Potted Potter, the guys always played Hermione, Ginny etc, so that license to be flexible with gender is baked in. I mean, it was never a searing, naturalistic kitchen-sink drama about men being manly, it’s always been two delusional clowns throwing water at each other and pretending to be wizards. So it never occurred to me that those roles couldn’t be women. They just need to be really stupid (hello). 

 

What do you enjoy most about Potted Potter?

Josephine:   I love the audiences we get and how they respond to all the interactive bits, how generous they are. We’ve been so lucky, we’ve only ever had the nicest, wildest audiences, everyone’s always up for a good time when they come. It’s pure joy. I also love when young people seek us out after shows to talk about acting and comedy, it’s fantastic to be around for those light bulb moments. 


 

Performing the same show over and over can get tedious.  What do you do to keep your performance fresh for both your audience and you?

Lottie:  I have ADHD so for me personally as a performer I need to be always finding new things and I feel the audience really helps with this especially in the live Quidditch that everyone gets involved in, so it does help with this show that it is different every night - there’s always a surprise! 

 

 

How much of the show is scripted and how much is improvised?

Lottie:  The show's script came from a lot of ad-libbing and improv from our writers Dan and Jeff and then they’ve taken bits of ad-lib from further performers whilst either performing or rehearsing and popped it in the show. That’s another big reason why I love working on this show because the team behind it are all so supportive of their actors. It gives the actors a real freedom to play and make choices in the space creating the spontaneous and witty comedy in the show. Now that's real magic!

 

 

 Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers?

Amelia:  Well it's been lovely to chat to you and we hope that you are intrigued to come and join in with the magical chaos that is Potted Potter. Expect the unexpected, silliness, games, perhaps a bit of audience participation (if you're brave enough). And please tell us all your magic secrets after the show!
 
 


Thank you Josephine, Lottie, and Amelia, for making the time to answer our questions! 
 
 

Potted Potter runs until January 14, 2024.  Tickets are available from Live Nation.


Potted Potter in Toronto

 

Potted Potter: The Unauthorized Harry Experience – A Parody by Dan and Jeff is flying back to Toronto!

Seen by over a million muggles around the world Potted Potter has fans flying off their seats (or broomsticks) with laughter and for the first time in North America the Toronto production will feature an all-female cast. Lottie Bell and Josephine Starte will lead the run with Hanna Berrigan swooping in as Associate Director. The cleverly curated show features perfect Potter props complete with wand and sorting hat, appearances from your favourite characters, and a live Quidditch match!






 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment